Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson
> Departments > Community Development > Building > Certificate of Occupancy

Obtaining A Certificate Of Occupancy

Final Inspection

A final inspection needs to be requested and approved by the Larimer County inspector prior to release of a Certificate of Occupancy.

Final Inspection - To be made after finish grading, and the building is completed and ready for occupancy, all plumbing fixtures are set, heating equipment set and working, and final electric is signed off by a state inspector. Radon test must be completed and submitted to the Building Department if applicable. (Carpet and other floor coverings, trim and doors except to garage do not need to be completed for full CO.) If you are in a Wildfire Hazard Area, the final wildfire inspection will need to be conducted prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy.

Certificate of Occupancy

Once all final inspections are approved, a certificate of occupancy is issued for residential and commercial permits. Certificates of occupancy are not issued for cabins, however, a Letter of Completion will be issued for cabins. Accessory structures, such as barns, garages, or storage buildings may request a letter of completion once final inspection has been approved. If you are unsure as to which final inspections are required prior to certificate of occupancy issuance, please contact our offices. Buildings are not to be occupied until the Certificate of Occupancy or Letter of Completion is issued. To obtain the Certificate of Occupancy or Letter of Completion you will need to bring in the inspection card and all applicable certificates and letters to the Building Department.

Temporary Certificate of Occupancy

A Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (TCO) may be issued for 180 days after final inspections are obtained and all life-safety issues have been corrected, in the judgment of the county building inspector. Please let your inspector know you are seeking a TCO, so he can verify you meet the minimum conditions, and what corrections are needed for the permanent Certificate of Occupancy. If the inspector approves you for a temporary certificate of occupancy, you must bring your signed permit inspection card to the building department office and pay a $600 TCO fee, which is partially refundable if you make all corrections prior to the TCO's expiration.

Click here for more details on requirements and fees for TCO's.

Life-Safety Issues include:

  1. One complete working bathroom, with shower or tub.
  2. Kitchen sink to be installed and working.
  3. Heating system, furnace & water heater, to be installed & working.
  4. Electric final to be approved by the State Electrical Inspector.
  5. Health department final (if applicable) to be approved.
  6. Access and flood finals (if applicable) to be approved.
  7. All stairs, handrails, and guardrails to be installed per code.
  8. Wildfire final inspection and any other life safety issues.
  9. Final approval from applicable Fire Department if fire-sprinklered or if by conditions of approval.
Background Image: Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson. All rights reserved.