Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson
> Departments > District Attorney > Adult District Court

Adult District Court

Contact Information

Courtroom 3A: (970) 498-7174
Courtroom 3B: (970) 498-7158
Courtroom 4A: (970) 498-7154
Courtroom 4C: (970) 498-7152
Courtroom 5A: (970) 498-7156
Courtroom 5B: (970) 498-7155


The Adult District Court Division handles criminal cases involving felony offenses committed in Larimer County or Jackson County. Those two counties make up the Eighth Judicial District of Colorado. Felony cases include offenses such as homicides, sexual assaults, robberies, identity theft and drug offenses. There are six classes of felony offenses in Colorado. Class 1 felony offenses are the most serious and Class 6 are the least serious.

Felony Process Flowchart

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is the difference between a felony and a misdemeanor?

    A felony is a criminal offense which is punishable by a sentence the Colorado Department of Corrections. A misdemeanor is a criminal offense which is punishable by a sentence to a fine or the county jail.

  2. What is the difference between the District Court and the County Court?

    The District Court handles all criminal cases which include a felony charge and all criminal cases where the person charged is a juvenile under the age of 18 years of age. The County Court handles all criminal cases involving misdemeanors, traffic offenses and traffic infractions.

  3. How do I get a public defender?

    You may call their office at (970) 493-1212 and press 0 to ask for assistance or you may go to their office at #1 Old Town Square, Suite 201, Fort Collins, CO 80524 and fill out an application.

  4. I missed my court date; what should I do?

    You should contact the court as soon as possible to avoid the possibility of a warrant being issued for your arrest. If you have a bondsman, you should also contact them and advise them that you missed your court date.

  5. I am a defendant and I don't think my attorney is very good. Can I talk to the deputy district attorney assigned to my case?

    If you are represented by an attorney the district attorney cannot ethically talk with you about your case without your attorney being present.

  6. How can I get the police reports pertaining to my court case?

    Please see the Discovery link on our web page for information regarding Discovery.

  7. I received a subpoena from the District Attorney's Office who can I talk to about the subpoena?

    You should talk to our witness coordinator at 498-7285.

  8. Is the District Attorney elected or appointed?

    The District Attorney is an elected official and serves a four year term. Under state law the District Attorney is limited to two four year terms.

  9. Can I report a crime to the District Attorney's Office?

    By statute, the District Attorney's Office is responsible to prosecute crimes which have been charged following an investigation by a law enforcement agency such as the police or sheriff's office. To report a crime you should contact your local police or sheriff's office.

  10. Can the District Attorney tell the police or sheriff what to do?

    The District Attorney does not have legal authority over the operation of police agencies or the sheriff's department.

  11. What is an arraignment?

    This is a court appearance where the defendant, after being advised of his/her rights, makes a decision to either plead guilty and avoid a trial or plead not guilty and request a trial on the charges.

  12. What is a preliminary hearing?

    A preliminary hearing is a hearing before a judge to determine if it is more probable than not that the defendant committed the felony offenses for which the defendant has been charged. If the judge finds that probable cause exists then the defendant is bound over for trial. If the judge does not find probable cause exists then the felony charges are dismissed.

  13. What is a deferred sentence?

    Colorado statutes authorize a person to plead guilty to a criminal offense but to postpone sentencing on that offense for a period of time not to exceed two years on a misdemeanor or four years on a felony. During this postponement period, the defendant must remain law abiding, pay restitution and court costs, and complete any conditions set by the court such as drug/alcohol treatment, domestic violence treatment, mental health treatment and useful public service work. At the end of the postponement period, if the defendant has fully complied with the conditions of his deferred sentence, the defendant can withdraw his guilty plea and the charge is dismissed. However, if the defendant fails to fully comply with the conditions of his deferred sentence, the court will sentence the defendant upon his previously entered guilty plea.

  14. I want to voice a concern about how my case is being handled by the Deputy District Attorney assigned to my case. To whom can I speak?

    If you have a concern about how your case is proceeding, you may contact us. If you are represented by an attorney, we are prohibited from discussing your case with you. You will need to address these concerns with your attorney.

  15. What is drug court?

    Drug Court is an alternative to the regular criminal justice process in both adult and juvenile court. Offenders who have committed non-violent crimes relating to drug abuse and addiction problems are eligible for this program. Drug Court utilizes the focused involvement of the Court, probation, treatment providers, and others involved in the criminal justice system to increase direct supervision of offenders, coordinate public resources, and expedite case processing. Through Drug Court, offenders are given the tools and support to make positive changes in their lives and break the cycle of alcohol and drug use, criminal behavior, and incarceration.

Background Image: Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson. All rights reserved.