Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson
> Departments > District Attorney > County Court

County Court

Contact Information

Fort Collins
Courtroom 1A: (970) 498-7242
Courtroom 3D: (970) 498-7238
Courtroom 4D: (970) 498-7242
Courtroom 5D: (970) 498-7246

Main: (970) 619-4410


The County Court Division handles all misdemeanor and traffic offenses written into the county courts of Larimer County. Typical cases involve charges such as third degree assault, harassment, domestic violence, driving under the influence of alcohol and minor in possession of alcohol. There are five county courts with three of those in Fort Collins and two in Loveland. Additionally, there is one magistrate's court in Fort Collins.

Misdemeanor Process Flowchart

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. I have to appear in court on a ticket can I talk to the DA before my court appearance?

    You will have an opportunity to talk to a deputy district attorney on your court date after you have been advised of your rights by the court. If you have hired an attorney, the deputy district attorney cannot speak with you about your case unless your attorney is present.

  2. I received a ticket and have been given 20 days to pay the fine. Can I talk with a DA first?

    A mail in ticket is called a "Penalty Assessment Ticket." Most penalty assessment tickets are for offenses classified as traffic infractions. By statute, the district attorney is not the prosecuting attorney for traffic infractions and therefore you do not have the opportunity to talk to a DA about these tickets.

  3. I am under 18 and received a ticket to appear in court. Do I need to bring a parent?

    Yes, Colorado law requires any minor under the age of 18 to inform his or her parent or legal guardian of the ticket and the requirement to appear in court. The parent or legal guardian is also required to appear in court with their minor child.

  4. I received a photo radar ticket or red light ticket. What do I do?

    Photo radar and photo red light tickets are handled by the Fort Collins Municipal Court and the Fort Collins City Attorney's Office. The Fort Collins Municipal Court is located at 215 North Mason, Fort Collins, CO, and may be reached at (970) 221-6800.

  5. I live out of state or I live more than 100 miles from Larimer County. Do I have to come back to my court date, or do I have other options?

    All 1A Court appearances are mandatory.

  6. How do I get a public defender?

    You may call their office at (970) 493-1212 and press 0 to ask for assistance or you may go to their office at #1 Old Town Square, Suite 201, Fort Collins, CO 80524, and fill out an application.

  7. How can I get the police reports pertaining to my court case?

    Please see the Discovery link on our web page for information regarding Discovery.

  8. Can someone else come to court for me? They have my power of attorney.

    The only person who can appear on your behalf is an attorney who is licensed in the State of Colorado. Even if represented by an attorney, your appearance in court is usually required unless the court has excused your personal appearance.

  9. There is a no contact order in my case and I want to lift it. What can I do?

    In order to request a no contact order be removed, you must fill out the appropriate paper work with the court. Filling out the motion to lift the no contact order does not guarantee that the court will lift it. To get more information you should go to the courts web site and self help center at:

  10. I need to change my court date. How do I do that?

    Only the court can change your court date. You can contact the clerk of the courts at (970) 494-3500.

  11. I missed my court date. What do I do?

    You should contact the court, (970) 494-3500, as soon as possible to avoid the possibility of a warrant being issued for your arrest. If you have a bondsman, you should also contact them and advise them that you missed your court date.

  12. The defendant has passed away. How do I take care of their case?

    Please contact our office and provide the defendant's name, date of birth, case number and the county where the defendant passed away. Please include your contact information.

  13. I cannot complete my sentence or I need to change the conditions of my sentence. How do I do that?

    If you had an attorney on your case, you should contact your attorney to assist you with a possible change of sentence. If you did not have an attorney, you may file a written motion with the court requesting a modification to your sentence. To get more information on how to file this motion, you should go to the courts website at:

  14. I received a copy of a motion to revoke in the mail. What do I do now?

    Once a motion has been filed with the court, the judge will determine whether or not to issue a warrant or a summons to appear in court. You should receive a copy of the court's Order in the mail. If you have questions about the Order, or have not received the Order yet, you should contact the courts at (970) 494-3500.

  15. How do I get an affidavit for deferred sentence review?

    The Affidavit and Motion for Deferred Sentence Review form can be printed and filled out. The original should be filed with the Clerk of the Combined Courts and a copy sent to our office. You will find both addresses listed on the Affidavit.

  16. How do I seal a case?

    This depends on the type of case you wish to seal. If you wish to seal a conviction of a minor in possession of alcohol MIP (C.R.S 18-13-122), you may file a petition to seal in the court in which you were convicted. If you wish to seal some other sort of conviction, you may be eligible to seal your case under C.R.S. 24-72-308. You may wish to consult an attorney on this issue or you can contact the courts web site and self help center at:

  17. I need to reinstate my license and there is a hold (outstanding judgment warrant) on my license. What can I do?

    If your case is a Driving Under Suspension, Driving Under Restraint or Driving Without a Valid License, and you have an OJW for failure to appear on your court date, you may request an early release of the OJW from our office. All other cases that do not fit into the previous categories must wait for case closure before you can have the OJW released. OJW Release form.

  18. I think someone used my name when they got their ticket. What can I do about it?

    Please contact your your local law enforcement agency for assistance as directed by C.R.S. 16-5-103(3).

  19. I want to voice a concern about how my case is being handled by the Deputy District Attorney assigned to my case. To whom can I speak?

    If you have a concern about how your case is proceeding, you may contact us via email. If you are represented by an attorney, we are prohibited from discussing your case with you. You will need to address these concerns with your attorney.

Background Image: Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson. All rights reserved.