Establishing A Business In Larimer County
This page contains general information and links regarding the opening of a business in Larimer County.
State of Colorado Information
Larimer County Information
- The only businesses required to have a county business license are liquor establishments and trash haulers. Contact the Health Department at 498-6775 regarding: 1) Septic System contractor licenses, 2) Septic system cleaner licenses and 3) County issued state license to serve food to the public.
- If your business includes selling items at wholesale or retail, you will need a county sales tax license. Please contact the Sales Tax Office at 498-5930.
- All businesses in the county must check with the Planning and Zoning Department to make sure the area where you are planning your business is zoned for that type of business - 498-7683.
- You will need to register with the Colorado Department of Revenue for either a Trade Name or Business Registration depending on type of business you are starting. There are several ways you can do this:
- You may call their office in Fort Collins at (970) 494-9805.
- You may visit the Colorado Revenue web site at www.revenue.state.co.us
- You may visit their offices located at 1121 W. Prospect Road, Building D in Fort Collins.
- If you are dealing with food, plants, animals, day care, schools, summer camps you will need to check with the Health Department - 498-6700.
- Information about liquor licenses - 498-7850, 498-7869.
- If you need a trash haulers license , contact the Natural Resources Department - 498-5760.
- If your business is located within city limits you need to contact that city for their requirements.
Another reference about starting your business is the Colorado Business Resource Guide.