Disaster Unemployment Assistance for High Park Fire Victims
Department: Workforce Center
Release Date: Jul 11, 2012
Maureen Harter, Workforce Development Center Manager Larimer County Workforce Center, 200 West Oak Street, Suite 5000, Fort Collins, Colorado, (970) 498-6659
Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) is currently available to help workers who lost their jobs, and self-employed individuals who are unable to work, recover from the effects of the High Park wildfire.
Affected individuals who live or work in Larimer County must submit applications for DUA by August 8, 2012. Claims filed after the deadline will be considered untimely and benefits denied, unless the individual provides good cause for filing late. The first possible week of DUA compensation is the week beginning June 10, 2012, and ending June 16, 2012. Benefit payments may continue through December 29, 2012, as long as the unemployment continues to be a direct result of the disaster.
DUA is available to people who:
· Do not qualify for regular state unemployment benefits.
· Worked or were self-employed or were scheduled to begin work or self-employment, but were unable to do so because of the disaster.
· Can no longer work or perform services because of physical damage or destruction to the place of employment as a direct result of the disaster.
· Cannot reach their place of employment as a direct result of the disaster.
· Have been prevented from work or self-employment because of an injury as a direct result of the disaster.
· Establish that work or self-employment they can no longer perform was their primary source of income.
· Have become the major support of a household because of the death of the head of the household.
To file a claim for DUA, applicants may visit the Larimer County Workforce Center, or call the Wildfire Unemployment Resource phone line at 1-888-843-8382.
The Wildfire Unemployment Resource phone line requires applicants to leave a message with their name, social security number, callback number, and best time(s) to return their call. The Larimer County Workforce Center is at 200 West Oak Street, Suite 5000, in Fort Collins, 970 498 6600. The website is: http://larimerworkforce.org/announcements/high-park-evacuees/
Unemployment Insurance representatives will be staffing the Larimer County Workforce Center in Fort Collins, during the month of July, exclusively for victims of the wild fires and for those eligible for DUA.
To receive DUA benefits, claimants must provide documentation to support that they were working, were self-employed, or had prospective employment at the time of the disaster. Self-employed individuals must provide federal tax forms (including all schedules) for the 2011 tax year. The documentation must be submitted within 21 days from the day the DUA claim is filed. -30-
We ask for your login to prevent computer generated spam in the comments. Your email address is not shown. Do not expect answers from the county for questions posed here. Use the contact information above for specific questions.
You must be logged in to leave a comment. Login with:
Not a Current User? Sign-Up
Terms & Conditions
No comments yet.