What is a long-term care ombudsman?
The Older Americans Act designated the ombudsman as the individual whose mission it is to protect the rights of residents of assisted living residences and nursing facilities.
- A person who is concerned with protecting the civil and human rights of elderly persons in long-term care facilities.
- A problem-solver and mediator.
- A resource and educator.
- An objective investigator of complaints.
Who can use the ombudsman service?
- Residents and family members of residents, of assisted living residences and nursing facilities.
- Long-term care staff members and administrators who may want notification, advice, or consultation.
- The community-at-large.
- Other interested groups concerned about the welfare of residents of long-term care facilities.
- Individuals and families who are considering long term care placement.
What can the ombudsman do for you?
- Provide a place where a resident of a long-term care facility or their family can discuss a problem and receive assistance.
- Help long-term care residents obtain the services necessary to promote quality-of-life while maintaining dignity.
- Educate the community about the long-term care system.
- Provide information and assistance in choosing long-term care
- Advocate for resident's rights.
When do you use the ombudsman?
- To report a problem or concern
- To request training assistance.
- To seek information about:
- long-term care facilities
- facility services
- federal and state regulations
- residents' rights
How do I file a complaint with the Ombudsman Program?
The Ombudsman program encourages individuals to resolve issues at the lowest level possible, if you are uncomfortable doing this or are unable to resolve an issue you can contact the ombudsman program to file a complaint and have the ombudsman investigate the matter.
Any concerned party can contact the ombudsman with concerns.
Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment - is the licensing and regulatory agency for long term care facilities in Colorado.
4300 Cherry Creek Drive South
Denver, Colorado 80246-1530
303- 692-2000 or 1-800-886-7689
Can I be a volunteer for the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program?
The Ombudsman Program continually seeks caring individuals to share life-enriching opportunities. (Please note: the Ombudsman program is not currently accepting new volunteers. Applications will be saved until a position becomes available and applicants will be contacted at that time.)
Other helpful information
Choosing a long term care facility is one of the most difficult decisions that you may be asked to make. So it is important that you make the best possible decision and base that decision on the most complete information available. Start your search before the need for a nursing home arises because good decisions are rarely made during a crisis situation. Also, in order to secure a room in the nursing facility of your choice you may need to put your name or a loved one's name on a waiting list. Start the research today.
Resident Rights and Protections: What are my rights in a nursing home?
As a resident of a nursing home, you have all the same rights and protections of all United States citizens. Nursing home residents have certain rights and protections under the law. They can vary by State. The nursing home must provide you with a written description of your legal rights. Keep the information you get about your rights, admission and transfer policies, and any other information you get from the nursing home in case you need to look at them later.
Advocacy is a role every person involved in long term care can and should undertake. It means speaking or acting on behalf of another. Become an advocate because the quality of life and care of nursing home and assisted living residents depends on people speaking up about issues they witness or hear about. Become an advocate because the rights of long term care residents must be protected.
For information about choosing a long term care facility contact: Amber Franzel at (970) 498-7754 or Monica Becker at (970) 498-7753