Dream Lake iced over - RMNP

Larimer County Vehicle Licensing

Titling a Vehicle from Out-of-State

Secure and verifiable identification is required on all new titles, duplicate titles, new registrations, new temporary registration permits, and new placards. The identification must be provided by the owner of record or a power of attorney presented by the agent. The agent must have secure and verifiable identification to complete the transaction. Commercially owned or lien holder transactions require a letter of authorization.

To title and register a vehicle from another state, the following is required:

  1. If you have the title in your possession, bring it with you to our office along with your current registration (photocopies not accepted), and we will issue a Colorado title. If you do not have the title in your possession (either the title is being held by a lienholder, or in storage), a current registration is acceptable in order to establish a suspense record for you to buy Colorado license plates. If you don't surrender your out-of-state title, you will not receive a Colorado title. However, your out-of-state title is still valid for transfer of ownership or to establish a lien. We recommend surrender of the out-of-state title because, should the title become lost or destroyed, you will need to contact the state in which is was issued in order to replace the title; this can be more costly and time consuming.

    Some states issue a document that is the title and registration combined. This document is acceptable if it is submitted to our office before the expiration date.

  2. In addition to the title or registration, the state requires a verification of the serial number on the vehicle, to match the number on the title or registration. This inspection can be made by a licensed dealer, a licensed inspection station or a law enforcement officer. The inspection is annotated on form DR 2698 – Verification of Vehicle Identification . This form is also available at all motor vehicle locations and emission stations.

    If you are moving from a non-title state, your vehicle may require a certified vehicle identification number inspection or other documents. This procedure may require you to speak with one of our technicians for complete details. Please call our office at (970) 498-7878 to speak with a technician.

  3. Emissions tests are required on diesel vehicles. Effective November 1, 2010, Larimer County residents will be required to obtain a certificate of emissions control for all gasoline vehicles within a designated area of Larimer County. When a vehicle is registered outside an Emissions area and commutes to the Emissions area for employment or to attend school, an emissions test is required. Please see the Air Care Colorado website at www.aircarecolorado.com for information.

  4. Weight slips will be required on all motor homes and trucks with an empty weight or more than 4500 pounds. (If the weight is not displayed on the out-of-state title or registration.)

  5. Proof of insurance is required before our office can register any passenger car, motor home, bus, or motorcycle. See insurance requirements.

  6. A late fee of $25 per month up to $100 is required on expired registrations, new purchases not registered after 60 days of purchase date, and vehicles registered 90 days after residency is established.

    Upon surrender of the title or the combination title/registration document, the state will issue a Colorado title in approximately eight weeks. If the out-of-state registration only is surrendered, no Colorado title will be issue.
Driver's licenses are not issued by our office, they may be obtained at the Colorado Department of Revenue, Driver's License Division
Background Image: Dream Lake frozen over in Rocky Mountain National Park by Bryce Bradford. All rights reserved.